Tigo OptimisersMaximise the return from your solar power system
Tigo is headquartered in the Silicon Valley and was founded in 2007. Since then Tigo have grown to become industry leaders in MLPE (module level power electronics). Tigo has operations in the USA, South American, Europe, Japan, China, the Middle East and Australia.
Unlike SolarEdge optimisers which only work with SolarEdge inverters Tigo TS4 optimisers will work with any brand or model of solar inverter including Fronius and Sungrow and any brand of solar panel including REC, Risen, LG and so on, this gives greater flexibility when choosing your Sunshine Coast solar power system.
How does Tigo work?
Tigo Optimisers increase solar energy production on your Sunshine Coast solar power system by reducing or eliminating production losses caused by “mismatch”
Solar panels are connected together in series to form a string, if one or more of your solar panels is underperforming, due to shade from a tree or TV or other structure, the entire string of solar panels produces less energy. This is mismatch.
Compare a string of solar panels to cars on a road, if there is an accident or roadworks all the cars on the road have to slow down and fewer cars get to their destination because of the congestion. In a solar power system the flow of traffic is called current and it represents the number of electrons (or cars) that can cross a particular section of an electrical circuit at any given time.
Solar panel mismatch is like roadworks and reduces the amount of power you system can produce.
The most commons causes are mismatch are:
- Rooftop Shading: Shading from trees, vent pipes, TV antennas, Satellite dishes all reduce the amount of sunlight that falls on some or all of your solar panels.
- Clouds: Clouds block and reflect sunlight when they pass over a solar power system, this leads to significant decreases in the amount of sunlight hitting each solar panel causing mismatch.
Other forms of mismatch are:
- Manufacturing mismatch: When manufactured, Solar cells are not identical and all produce differing amounts of power. Solar panel manufacturers use cells with comparable power outputs to manufacture solar panels however this does not give a set power output and all panels have a power range, for example REC TwinPeak 2 295watt solar panels can range in power output from 295watts to 299.99watts.
- Thermal gradients: Solar Panels towards the edge of a string of solar panels receive greater air flow and run cooler than solar panels in the centre of the string. Since the power output of a solar power is reduced the hotter they are this can lead to a difference of up to 7% difference in power output between hot and cold panels.
- Uneven soiling: Solar power system, like anything that is exposed to the elements 365 days a year, get dirty. Differing amount of soiling and dirt changes the amount of light that each solar panel receives, leading to differing levels of power production in each panel.
- Variable degradation: The power production from solar panels reduces over time however this does not occur in a linear fashion and all solar panels degrade at different rates.
Eliminating or reducing mismatch by installing Tigo Optimisers will increase the performance of your solar power system. it does this in 2 ways, Predictive IV and Impedance Matching
Predictive IV is a patent pending technology which makes solar panels smart. Every solar panel learns how obstructions like clouds and trees move across the sun’s path on a year-round basis, so that every single panel operates as efficiently as possible, 365 days a year.
When a solar panel is mismatched due to something like shade, a current tunnel is opened so that solar panels that are producing less power don’t drag down the performance of other solar panels in the same string. This is like implementing a diversion around a road accidents to prevent traffic jams. This applies not only to shade, but also mismatches caused by heat, soiling, and other sources.
As discussed above the biggest cause of solar panel mismatch is shading and one of the benefits of Tigo is that you can choose to optimise just the solar panels that have shading – in this example only 2 panels have been optimised which significantly minimises costs whilst ensuring maximum performance.
Performance with Tigo
Performance without Tigo
Key Features of the Tigo TS4-O optimiser:
- Works with all solar inverters and solar panels
- Increases energy production
- Gives greater design flexibility
- Maximizes roof space usage
- 25 year warranty
Solar panels with Tigo optimisers can also be monitored by installing the Tigo Access Point and the Tigo Cloud Connect Advanced into your solar power system.
A video introduction to Tigo
Contact us about Tigo Optimisers
Here at SunWorks, we are often asked if it is worth installing an off grid solar power system and how much will it return. Every Sunshine Coast home is unique and we all use different amounts of power at different times of the day however, unless your roof is heavily...
D & M were concerned about rising energy costs and wanted to install a large Sunshine Coast solar power system on their home to offset the running costs of the air-conditioner and swimming pool. After some consultation Sunworks Solar recommended a 17.6kW off grid...
In a previous blog post about PERC solar panels we discussed what PERC actually means and whether you should be buying a PERC solar panel for your Sunshine Coast solar power system. Since then further information about a serious potential issue with some PERC solar...
We have just had a call from a Sunshine Coast resident who had an Enphase solar system installed by a national company that advertises really cheap prices. Although the system is working the monitoring is not, as the solar power installer, who by the way is based on...
P&P are building the first 10 star energy rated house on the Sunshine Coast and installing an off grid solar system is a logical step in that process however they are limited roof space. To maximise the solar power system's size and return on investment Sunworks...